Stay in the know.
What does it mean to have little to no credit as a borrower?
Having no credit history means a borrower doesn’t have enough of a credit history for credit bureaus to determine the likelihood that they will pay back borrowed money. If a borrower has no credit, it does not automatically mean they cannot apply for a mortgage. There are programs out there for borrowers in this exact situation.
Mortgage Options, Inc. offers a Flexible Financing with Low Down Payment Program. This program is for applicants with little to no credit. Here’s how the program works! If they have no credit, a borrower just needs to have 3.5% down payment and have at least 3 non-traditional credit lines for at least 3 months.
To establish 3 non-traditional credit lines, the borrower must have 3 references and at least one of the following:
- Rental housing payments (subject to independent verification if the borrower is a renter)
- Telephone service
- Utility company reference (if not included in the rental housing payment)
- Television Service
- Internet Service
If the mortgagee cannot establish credit using the references above, they may also consider using:
- Insurance premiums that are not deducted through payroll (medical, auto, life, renter’s insurance)
- Payment to childcare providers such as daycare
- School tuition
- Retail store credit cards
- Rent-to-Own payments (like furniture or appliances)
- Payment of medical bills not covered by insurance
- A 12-month history of
a savings with regular deposits resulting in an increased balance in the account. account
- Made, at minimum, quarterly
- Not payroll deducted
- Caused no nonsufficient funds (NSF) checks
- An automobile lease
- A personal loan from an individual with repayment terms in writing and canceled checks to support documentation of payments on the loan.
- A 12-month history of borrower payment on the account for which the borrower is an authorized user.
Using these references to establish credit worthiness, Mortgage Options, Inc. can help a borrower secure the mortgage they need to get started on the path to homeownership. If you have little to no credit and are thinking there’s no way you can become a homeowner, contact us today!